In this episode, we are going to talk about how to stay truly connected in an overly unconnected world. It’s so easy to stay super connected, but what does it mean to be truly connected nowadays?
Here are some points to consider as well as highlights from the show:
- People report feeling more disconnected even though we have more means of connection than ever before
- Social media sites can add pressure to showing people you are having a great time while also giving you FOMO (fear of missing out) when you see other people’s ‘highlight reel.’
- How much easier it is to be disrespectful and hurtful on Facebook as opposed to real life. People in general tend to be so much more destructive when communicating in written form online because we all want to feel validated, but it’s so much easier to argue online when that person isn’t sitting across from you.
- A good discussion on communicating in a positive way with people online.
- A call to question whether having Facebook is good for you and your life. Consider how it makes you feel and how much time it sucks from your life.
- You need to be able to pull away and disconnect in order to connect.
So how do we solve this problem personally and for others?
- Limit social media time.
- Call someone instead of texting them.
- Make ‘off the grid time” shut off phone for a few hours.
- When you go out with loved ones put phones away.
- When you say ‘lets get coffee’ suggest a time immediately instead of leaving it vague. Makes it much more likely to happen.
- Read together instead of watching a movie together and see how much more present you are to enjoy the moment.
Thanks so much for stopping by!
-Jordan and Miranda